HOST CITY - MISKOLC
Soothing nature, a wonderful built heritage, a unique spa experience, active recreation and unique festivals await those who wish to relax and have meaningful relaxation all year round.
More information please click here!
With high-level research and development activities covering a wide range of scientific fields in the European higher education space, the University of Miskolc contributes to the Hungarian and international scientific life. Founded in 1735, the mining, metallurgical, and then mechanical engineering education was adapted to the socio-economic needs of the Northern Hungarian region. And from the 1980s, it was expanded by including new scientific disciplines. In addition to the traditional Faculty of Earth Sciences and Engineering, Faculty of Materials and Chemical Engineering, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Informatics, the university established an independent Faculty of Law, Faculty of Economics, Faculty of Arts, Faculty of Health Sciences, and then Faculty of Music. Finally, the largest higher education institution in the region the University of Miskolc was established at the turn of the millennium. A universitas cultivating a wide range of scientific disciplines has been created, which is a defining stakeholder in the Hungarian tertiary education in the 21st century. At the University of Miskolc, 44 Bachelors, 46+11 Masters with teaching certification, as well as 142 specialised postgraduate programmes have been accredited. The nearly 9,000 students are taught by over 740 researchers, teachers and professors. There are also 7 doctoral schools. A new element of the educational portfolio is dual education, which is available in 32 degree programmes.
Arrival & Departure
The points of arrival and departure for the European Universities Badminton Championship 2023:
- Liszt Ferenc International Airport, Budapest (BUD)
- International Airport of Debrecen (DEB)
- Train stations – Tiszai International Train Station, Miskolc
- Bus station - International Bus Station, Miskolc
The OC will provide transportation for participants between the venues of European Universities Badminton 2023.
- Athletes, Officials and Volunteers: EUC bus lines and free public transport with accreditation card (2 tram / 45 bus lines)
- Direct transfer for Opening Ceremony
- Taxi service for EUSA and VIPs
• Area: 93,030 sq km
• Population: 9,967,308 (2022)
• Capital: Budapest
• Population density: 107.3 capita/sq km
• Official language: Hungarian
• Most frequently used foreign languages: English, German
• Currency: Hungarian forint, Ft, HUF (currency rates)
• Government type: republic
• OECD member since: 1996
• EU member since: 1 May, 2004.
• Schengen area member since: 2007.
Good to know
• Power supply: Residential voltage: 230 V, Frequency: 50 Hz, Plug types: C and F
• Hungary uses the metric system for units of measurements.
• Hungarian date notation: year/month/day.
• Separation of numbers: Hungarian uses the comma as the decimal separator and the full stop as the thousand separator.
• Hungarian names: family name comes first
Hungary is in the Central European Time Zone (CET), which is one hour ahead of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). The country uses the practice of daylight saving time, advancing clocks by one hour during the period from the last weekend in March to the last weekend of October.
Normal business hours
• Private and public offices: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., closed on Saturdays and Sundays
• Retail: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturdays
• Shopping centres, hypermarkets: 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., seven days a week
• Restaurants: 12 noon to 10 p.m.
• Business hours may differ significantly in specific cases.
Holidays in 2023
• 1 January: New Year
• 15 March: National holiday (commemorating the 1848 revolution)
• 7 April: Good Friday
• 10 April: Easter Monday
• 1 May: Labour Day
• 29 May: Pentecost
• 20 August: National holiday (commemorating the foundation of the Hungarian state)
• 23 October: National holiday (commemorating the 1956 revolution and fight for freedom)
• 1 November: All Saints’ Day
• 25-26 December: Christmas
Since Hungary is a member country of the Schengen Zone, all citizens of the rest of EU/EEA member states can enter carrying only an identification document.
Visa-free travel is possible for: citizens of 22 of the 27 Member States of the European Union (Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the Netherlands), as well as Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.
Four of the EU Member States - Bulgaria, Cyprus, Ireland and Romania - are not part of the Schengen area.
Citizens of all non-Schengen Member States are required to obtain a visa, which they can apply for at the Hungarian diplomatic mission or consular post of their country of residence or at the diplomatic mission or consular post of a Schengen Member State acting on behalf of Hungary where they are legally resident for a long stay (holding a residence permit or equivalent visa).
Schengen visa and entry rules apply to short stays of less than 90 days. Rules for stays more than 90 days are determined by the national legislation of each Member State.
We recommend that contact the Hungarian embassy or consulate to check these requirements before travelling.
Hungary has a typical continental climate with hot dry summers and mildly cold snowy winters. There are four seasons in Hungary: winter (December, January, February), spring (March, April, May), summer (June, July, August), and autumn (September, October, November).
Average annual temperature is 9.7 °C . Average high temperature in the summer is 23 to 28 °C and temperature can climb up above 35 °C on the hottest days in July-August. Average low temperature in the winter is −3 to −7 °C and temperature might drop below -10 °C on the coldest days.
Generally, the weather is warmest from May to September.
The best time of year to visit Miskolc in Hungary
During the months of May, June, August and September you are most likely to experience good weather with pleasant average temperatures that fall between 20 degrees Celsius (68°F) and 26 degrees Celsius (79°F).
Other facts from our historical climate data
• Which is the warmest month in Miskolc?
July has an average maximum temperature of 27°C (80°F) and is the warmest month of the year.
• Which is the coldest month in Miskolc?
The coldest month is January with an average maximum temperature of -3°C (27°F).
• Which is the wettest month in Miskolc?
June tops the wettest month list with 85mm (3.3in) of rainfall.
• Which is the driest month in Miskolc?
January is the driest month with 26mm (1.0in) of precipitation.
• Which is the sunniest month in Miskolc?
July is the sunniest month with an average of 255 hours of sunshine.